Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Farewell and Good Luck! to Glenn Paulley

Yesterday was Glenn Paulley's last day at the company formerly known as Watcom, then Powersoft, then Sybase, then iAnywhere Solutions, then Sybase again, and now SAP.

For those of you who don't know Glenn, up until yesterday he was boss of the query engine which is that part of SQL Anywhere responsible for giving you an answer when you say SELECT.

Today, he's heading to... no, not Google, but to join the faculty of Conestoga College as Professor, Information Technology, to teach database systems, systems analysis and IS courses.

Dilbert.com

No, it's not like that at all!

In fact, this is more likely...

Dilbert.com

Yes, Glenn will be missed!

Here's the reason, in Glenn's own words:

I have been thinking of such a move for a little while. In a nutshell, I am trying to duplicate the joy I get from coaching, and earn a living at it. I have coached curling for ten years now and it is, by far, the most personally rewarding thing I have ever done. My hope is that I can convey the same passion and enthusiasm for Computer Science to Conestoga students as I can for my curling athletes, and bring to the classroom useful knowledge from my 25 years of experience that can help the students at Conestoga achieve their goals.
Those kids at Conestoga have no idea how lucky they are; their great good luck is inversely proportional to our bad luck, and a Glenn-free world is going to take some getting used to.

Maybe not ENTIRELY Glenn-free...

From time to time Glenn may grow tired of the grind, of the never ... ending ... pounding ... of ... thick ... skulls, and regale us with fresh posts on his new blog at The Ubiquitous Database.

His old blog will probably disappear, but the content will surely be preserved in perpetuity, as will all his articles here.


4 comments:

Glenn Paulley said...

Thanks for the kind words, Breck, I appreciate it.

Justin Willey said...

Best of luck in your new position Glenn, and many thanks for all the help over the years!

Unknown said...

Glenn,

Your blogs, your TechWave papers and talks, your emails have all been extremely helpful to me for many years. I found the strength of those to be: you made the *highly* technical understandable and usable for me as a developer, you care for the customers of iAnywhere and have helped remove roadblocks for us along the way.

I hope your new position is fulfilling at the high level you deserve as a person.

What a loss to iAnywhere. And what a BONUS for Conestoga!

My best wishes for you Glenn.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Glenn,

Thank you very much for all the help with SQL Anywhere. If and when ever you're in Washington DC area....please let me know so that I could buy you lunch or dinner. I am sure that you will produce a lot of great students. Have fun and do stop by DC.

Best regards,
Rachan Terrell